Monday 15 February 2010

Posh, Pencil Thin Frocks





One positive to starting your own fashion blog, is that people often hurl recommendations you way. ‘Have a look at this’ or ‘what do you think of that.’

Well, ‘that’ thing in question today is Victoria Beckhams’ fourth line of designer dresses, which she presented in New York yesterday. And the verdict, even though I have never actually worn a Beckham dress in my life is, yes I really want one of them.

I started to flick through the collection of images whilst I was supposed to be working. Ok, at first I was slightly ashamed, if not guilty of the fact that I was actually really impressed by the range, (I was hiding the computer screen from my fellow workers whilst taking a sneaky peak).

But at home, safely out of sight of prying eyes, I studied each dress with my beady eyes to try and find fault –I couldn’t.

Though less than five seconds later, it hit me, furiously I saw the frail, limp limbs of models portraying the ‘Posh pencil thin body’ – is this the right message to be sending out? I think not. Given the alarming way in which the forties style frock – albeit beautiful – tightly clung to the models body, to reveal the fact that her thighs were indeed the same size as my arm. Yes, quite literally models are now dying to be skinny. Just think of Brazilian model Ana Carolina Reston, who died in 2006 – need anymore be said.

Shaken, I continued to browse the rest of the collection. Oozing Hollywood glamour, each garment jumped off the page with great grace and style (images as shown). But again beneath each dress, lay the clearly defined Posh replicas, (not to mention - supporting the over sized sun glasses and pout).

Do we really all want to look like this? Imagine a world where every ones head was like a huge lollipop, wobbly around on a skeleton size frame. Yes, I must admit (through gritted teeth), Posh does look great – tight leather pants tick, lace bustier tick; she can wear it all in Hollywood’s fashion land. But in reality, will Armani burst into tears if Mrs Patterson from, 25 Green Street, Normal Land, can’t fit into his beaded ball gown to go to Tesco. I think not. In which case do we need to be bombarded with these waif thin - Posh styled models. Particularly when the designs themselves, throughout the whole collection are forward thinking, wearable and yes, suitably flattering for the majority of body shapes - the curvaceous J-lo is all ready a fan. Put perfectly by, British Vogues’ Lauren David Peden “Beckham presented a beautiful collection that evolved her body-con aesthetic, whilst still leaving room – literally - to breath.”

In summary, the collection is not in a completely opposite dimension of Hollywood fashion rubbish, as perhaps first thought. Poshs’ ranges have come a long way from the school teacher look of 09. But, viewing this collection will have you alternating between different emotions from rage to jealousy and then even awe before returning down to planet earth. Albeit if you want to copy the complete Posh look go for it no ones stopping you, (though be warned of the recent spotted bunions - from perching on sky scraper heels), or just play it stylishly safe and buy the ‘it’ dress of the moment.

Though, on this recommendation I was not warned that the dresses will set you back a couple of hundred pounds, (think a £1000 for an evening dress). So, thanks for the recommendation - it's now got me hooked. No, I don’t want to look like Posh, but yes I do want an ‘it’ dress - so maybe I will start saving, but I certainly won't be dieting to get the 'pencil Posh look.'

Certainly, the dresses won’t make you as famous or as thin as Posh, but it will put you in a similar celebrity, spending league. I guess we all have to start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment